Monday, October 26, 2009

Turkey Killin: not for the faint of heart

My Uncle Keith is quite the man of the earth. He has a big lot and has a garden and fowl. He offered our family a turkey from his flock. Kyle helped us catch it.

When I told the boys we would be killing a turkey they said ya. One said, "I am going to shoot it with a gun." Another said, "I'm gonna stab it with a knife!" I am thinking "Ok we will see" So when my uncle offered the knife to the boys and asked who was going to do it Oscar stepped up and said I am. He took the knife and we walked with the turkey to the execution. When we got there Oscar had walked in the other direction. No he didn't get lost he Turkeied out. So Uncle Keith did it for us. THanks
Uncle Keith made the executive decision to skin instead of pluck. Lots of work plucking.
Aunt Sandra helped with the babies.
Wesley ran over to show me the windpipe cut out.
Then we had popsicles in the shade. It was a beautiful day.

I wanted to practice action shots with the camera. So I had the boys jump in the hole. They were great.
There is the turkey. Alive and flapping 2 hours before this shot. Kind of weird. Probably not going to make a habit of this. But it was a good experience for the boys.

1 comment:

The LaLa said...

Yikes! When your mom told us this was in the plans, I was thinking I was glad it wasn't me!! But you're right, it's an interesting experience for your boys and they'll either never eat turkey again, or they'll really appreciate turkey at Thanksgiving!